Sunday, November 18, 2007

"if I had the balls, I'd be there with you!"

This weekend marks a red letter moment in the church I work in. A man (who is happily married with children) was ordained as a deacon. What does that mean, you ask? Well, basically they preform almost all rites EXCEPT for that great mystery "transubstantition" (which, to be honest, I'm probably in the more Lutheran camp of "Consubstantition>" Yet, only MEN are allowed to be Deacons, no women have yet to be accepted as ordained ministers of the Catholic (and I mean Capitol C ) church.
Yesterday, one of our own was ordained into the deacon ministry. I don't know what is worse in the sense of the fact that the Catholic church won't ordain women into that process (since you don't have to be celebate... well if you are married, you don't), and the people in the parish are acting as Christ showed up for the Eucharist because of the incident.
The unjust of the whole procedure is completely sad and faulty. Not that I would choose that path of destiny (nor do I feel called to it), but those women who do feel that call, are deprived, and because of that, they tend to be a bit unhealthy in the ministries in overcompensate (on second thought - I can relate to that situation with conducting being a
man's world...).
Will the Catholic church ever acknowledge those women that are spiritually dedicated to the church. In some sense, and some days, I do feel completely connected in my job... but days like these - I'm hoping my job comes soon that is outside of church work.

No comments: