Here it is - The official "Holiday Season" has begun. Twice I have attepmted to do a little shopping and get into the "spirit" of the season, but the magic, for some reason, has avoided me. Usually I embrace Advent as one of my favorite times of the year, and I just can't seem to jump on the band wagon. I want to be excited about Christmas, but I'm not sure what I have to look forward to. All December for me adds up to non-stop work, usually it is so life giving, but this time it is not. I'm not sure why, perhaps this is a sign that I am not in the right job...
I come back to these lyrics of one of my favorite carols.. Jesus Christ the Apple Tree... (I'm not sure I get the true gist of the meaning, but I think there is a bitter sweetness to the feelings that is about passion (think of the true meaning of the word "passion")
For happiness I long have sought And pleasure dearly I have bought For happiness I long have sought And pleasure dearly I have bought I missed of all but now I see 'Tis found in Christ the apple tree. I'm weary with my former toil Here I will sit and rest a while I'm weary with my former toil Here I will sit and rest a while Under the shadow I will be Of Jesus Christ the apple tree.
"Weary" is such a great word... it's almost like an onomatopoeia. It certainly is a great description of how I feel when I think of all the work that lies ahead of me in the next 4 weeks, and the lack of appreciation that will follow with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment