Thursday, January 3, 2008

Merry New Year the passing of time and life

December has brought death into my life, only to face the new year with new life and new birth. There were 3 significant people who passed away in the month of December. The first was my Aunt Shirley (my mother's ONLY sibling). She had suffered from throat cancer for the past 8 or 9 months, and had lost the quality of life by the end of September. I think she went early in December after finding that her husband was dying from leukemia. The end was in sight for both of them, and I believe they wanted to go together, and not either one of them left behind. My uncle past away shortly after on Christmas Eve to go home and spend Christmas with his wife.

It is a chapter closed in my life (not to mention a novel closed in my mother's life). The third person to pass away before 2008 was a colleague of mine that died of aids. Again, his relationship with his partner was a magical bond, that I feel that I am at a loss of ever feeling. Can I ever feel that love? And, why should someone who has that love be taken away earlier, than people like me who are seemingly left to be alone.

Is my life fruitful or successful, or is it neither? I would long to lean to the Fruitful, but being the over-achiever that I am, I cling to the successful... although the fruitful will be more rewarding. However, in the light of the new year, and January being my most hated month of the year, I don't know what fruitful is.

No comments: