
Although I think I would have a tough time with desert island discs and limiting myself to 3 CDs to listen to for the rest of eternity, i do have to say that I can list the songs of life that would last a lifetime. So here it is - and a few I'm willing to add some comments - the rest must speak for itself. I could never imagine life without music, even if I couldn't sing or play anymore - I would still need to listen... (not in any order of importance)
1. A Case of You (Joni Mitchell - "I could drink a case of you darling, and still be on my feet, I would still be on my feet..... I remember the time you told me, love is touching souls, surely yours touched mine, cause part of you pours out of me in these words from time to time."
2.Time after Time (not Cyndi Lauper, but the classic standard. "Time after time, you let me know that I'm so lucky to be loving you, so lucky to be the one you run to see..." Nancy Wilson sings a great version of this - so does Chet Baker)
3. Over the Rainbow (No one does this better than Judy Garland, although Jane Monheit does an amazing version of it. Ideally - dreams do come true.)
4. My Romance (Romance doesn't need the bells and whistles - just a soft guitar and you.)
5. Not While I’m Around (Sondheim is the best when it comes to writing lyrics. "Nothing can harm you, not while I'm around.")
6. Meadowlark (From the musical the Baker's Wife - she leaves a marriage that is based on obligation because she falls for a younger man. Not exactly my life story, but rings so true to my heart. I couldn't sing this for months without bursting into tears while I did it. Now it just reminds me to be authentic to myself, and no one else)
7. Love Will Come to You (Indigo Girls - the perfect metaphor of love out of reach - but the hope and belief that there is love out there "Where there's now one there will be two." )
8. Watershed (again, the Indigo Girls are so brilliant with crafting lyrics. You have to read the complete lyrics to understand... http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/indigogirls/watershed.html)
9. Come Lay Down (Howie Day - this song haunts me - but I'm not sure it's about the Lyrics.. sounds like someone on a drug trip)
10. Storm Warning (Hillary James – Bonnie Raitt "Storm warning, he made it pretty plain He's fallin' for another, found a new lover (and he won't be back again)." For that love that walked away from me...
11. She’s Already Up Her Mind (Lyle Lovett - the most beautiful man's voice in music - I can see why Julia Roberts Married him. Also, to see him in concert is exceptional - his Cello player is really the many I'm in love with -in live performances, he plays this AMAZING cello solo.
12. Waters of March (A stick a stone, it's the end of the road... a crazy lyric filled song that is just amazing. Jane Monheit does a lovely version of this, although the words are out of order {a bad edit job, perhaps???})
13. Into the Mystic (Van Morrison, despite his performance anxiety, is a god in my eyes - and this song is the ultimate song to make love to, although it's way to short, so you will need to put it on "loop")
14. The Nearness of You (Norah Jones does a great interpretation of this classic! "It's not the pale moon that excites me, That thrills and delights me, Oh no, It's just the nearness of you" To really feel that way - heavy sigh - someday)
So, that's it for a start - I'm sure that there are so many I am leaving out - but these are the ones that speak to my soul. What's yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment